Do you know what the secret to happiness is? The number one thing that separates people who realise their dreams and those that don’t is taking a risk. Being brave, audacious, feisty, bold, daring, courageous, gutsy, spirited, adventurous, and exploratory even; there are many words to describe taking a risk.
There are a number of reasons people fall back on to NOT take a risk and lead their ideal life, to be happier. Here are just a few:
- Fear of failure
- Fear of the unknown
- Fear of rejection
- The need for certainty
- The need of approval from others
- Absence of desire to change
- Lack of confidence
Best tip – TAKE ACTION, and then:
- Allow for mistakes – you will make lots along the way, and probably need to.
- Look at risk as an opportunity to learn.
- Be prepared to ask for help
- Do some planning (not too much otherwise you won’t start)
- Take baby steps
- Reward your successes, of which taking the baby steps is included.
- Evaluate and adjust along the way
I read something the other day which goes something like this. Go out on a limb – the view is much better from there and you are more likely to find some fruit. Hmmm…sounds pretty good to me
“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible”. Arthur C. Clarke
Along the way, don’t be afraid to stop and take a different path if it is not working for you. When I finished my life coach training, I really didn’t have any idea of what was available in the business of coaching and personal development. I had a vision which was based on very limited information. I wasn’t aware of the possibilities. Once I started exploring those possibilities, I stopped 1:1 coaching to focus on creating my life and business the way I want it. I knew nothing about marketing, social media (hey, I just started using FB recently and on a BIG learning curve), had no networks with similar business models to connect with. Even when I started this blog, I really didn’t know what I was doing but I did it anyway.
Now, I’m investing money (yes, maxing out the credit card) and time to learn, to connect, to experiment so I can create a life that will be built on my values. Yes, I am making mistakes – but who cares. Yes, I will get knock backs and rejected –that’s just part of life. Yes, there will be people who will criticise me and what I do and how I do it – oh well, that’s more of a reflection of their lack of confidence in themselves and a lack of imagination. Who cares if some people think you are crazy? Whose life is it anyway?
Think not of the risk of taking risk, think instead of the risks of NOT taking that risk.
And, if people think you are crazy? At least life will be more interesting. So, what crazy ideas do you have for creating happiness in your life? I’d love to hear them.
- Letting Go and Allowing:What Are You Afraid Of? (adapting2change.me)
- Taking risks…There is nothing to Fear (lifeinharmonyandbalance.wordpress.com)
- The Risk of Living Fully (joyofspa.com)
- How To Turn Fear into Growth (livebreathegrow.wordpress.com)